Tea Tree Oil, or Melaleuca oil, is taken from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia, which is native to the northeast coast of New South Wales, Australia.
Tea tree oil has many household and cosmetic uses including:
- Use in acne treatments, as it is known to be one of the most effective home remedies for acne. Tea tree oil can also aid in relieving all types of skin inflammation, including eczema and psoriasis
- Hair benefits as it can be added to shampoos to moisturize hair, giving it a natural shine. It is also effective at soothing dry scalp and helping relieve dandruff. It can even be used to aid in lice treatment
- Treating congestion, earaches, and head lice
- Repelling insects. Some studies have shown that tea tree oil is more effective as an insecticide than standard insecticides or repellents
- Beneficial to oral health because it has the ability to kill bad bacteria while soothing inflamed skin at the same time, making it an ideal ingredient to use in a homemade mouthwash or toothpaste