Citronella oil is popularly used as an insect repellent. It can be found in many registered pesticide products, such as sprays, lotions, and candles. Sometimes, it is added to sunscreen, wristbands, and flea collars. It can also be used to help heal insect bites, due to its anti-fungal properties.
Other benefits of citronella oil include:
- It is one of the most common oils used in aromatherapy. Some people have used citronella oil as a relaxant and stress reducer.
- Known for its effectiveness as a mosquito repellent.
- Is said to increase sweating and urination in order to draw out toxins in the body.
- Can be added to shampoo and conditioner to help eliminate excess oil and greasiness of hair, while also fighting dandruff and adding shine.
- Has been found to help calm barking dogs and can even be used on furniture to keep pets off. When you spray citronella oil onto furniture, it can also keep it free from bacteria, pests, and odors.