If you’re pregnant, or simply tired of all the chemicals in off-the-shelf nail polish, this little remedy is an easy solution!
- 4 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil (this not only allows polish to apply smoothly, but it also helps strengthen and moisturize nails)
- 3 tablespoons alkanet root powder (for red) or 3 tablespoons ginger root powder (for neutral) or 3 tablespoons of charcoal powder (for gray)
- 1/2 teaspoon beeswax
- 3 drops vitamin E oil
- 1/2 teaspoon jojoba oil
- Small brush (for application)
- Place the olive oil and choice of colored powder in a small pan on low heat.
- Stir until well blended.
- Once the ingredients are warmed (not too hot), remove from the heat.
- Use a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to strain the olive oil back into the pan. It should be tinted according the chosen color or ingredient.
- Now, add beeswax and allow it to melt.
- Once the beeswax is melted, add the jojoba oil.
- Blend the ingredients by stirring, and allow the mixture to cool.
- Apply the polish while it is still slightly warm (do not apply when it is too hot to touch) using a small, clean brush and allow it to dry completely.
- Apply second coat if you would like.
- For storage, pour the mixture into a clean, heat-safe jar or old sterilized nail polish container. You may need a funnel to do this.
- To use again, reheat the mixture. As long as the jar is heat-safe, you can simply reheat it by placing it in a pan of warm water.